Auditions for Smoke on the Mountain will be held Wednesday, March 13, and Thursday, March 14, at the McHaffey Opera House on Elm St in Eldon, Iowa.
What do I need to do to audition for Smoke on the Mountain?
- Choose an audition time*. Auditions are scheduled in 7-minute increments.
- Download and print the audition form.
- Arrive 10-15 minutes before your scheduled audition time and turn in your completed audition form
to the attendant.
- For the audition, be ready to sing, play or sing and play 16 measures or 1 minute of your
best bluegrass/gospel tune, hymn or other appropriate piece. If you are not accompanying
yourself, an accompanist will be available. Please bring a copy of your music for the pianist. No
reading will be done at this audition.
- You are free to leave once your audition is complete.
- Call-back auditions will be held March 21.
* Please note, if you are unable to sign-up for a specific time, auditions on a first-come, first-served basis will begin at 8:30 p.m.
Summary and Parts/Roles
The cast includes:
- Pastor Mervin Oglethorpe, late 20s
- Burl Sanders – Father, late 40s
- Vera Sanders – Mother, mid 40s
- Stanley – Uncle, late 40s
- Dennis and Denise – Twins, 17
- June – Sister, 23
Smoke on the Mountain uses 27 standard bluegrass gospel songs. The actors who play the Sanders family all sing and ideally play a musical instrument as well, but singers who don’t play an instrument will be heard as well as instrumentalists who don’t sing. The musical instruments needed are piano, guitar, string bass, banjo, fiddle, autoharp, ukulele, harmonica, etc.
McHaffey Opera House is located in downtown Eldon, Iowa, on Elm St between 4th St and 5th St. You can get directions below.